Thursday, September 17, 2020

Faith During Covid

 

   As many know I am working toward becoming a Third Order Benedictine, an Oblate.  I am not becoming a monk and won’t be living in a monastery.  I am simply one who desires to live the Benedictine way of life.  Ordinarily we meet each month at St. Leo’s Abbey.  The Abbot and brothers help us better understand Benedictine spirituality and guide us in our spiritual journey.

   Those meetings were suspended due to Covid.  Last evening we resumed our meetings via Zoom.  It was a blessing to again be in the company of the Abbot, the brothers, and other oblates, even though it wasn't in person.

   Abbot Isaac offered the opportunity for us to share some of our experiences during this time of isolation.  Many shared some of their experiences, talking of missing friends and relatives and the pain of losing loved ones at a time when they weren’t allowed be with them to offer them comfort.

   There were also several who spoke of a deepening of their faith during this time.  They talked about grower closer to God through the solitude.  Prayer had become a greater source of comfort and solace in their life.  This has been my experience during this period.

   My house is silent unless I turn on the television or music of some kind.  In the silence is solitude and a quiet communing with the Lord.  My prayer life has deepened, my faith has grown stronger, and I am more in love with God than ever before.  I have been greatly blessed.

   I think it’s important to speak of the good that can come from difficult times.  God is with us always, but we sometimes forget that when everything is going well.  In hard times we are more likely to turn to God seeking His solace and love.  In the best of times and in the worst of times He is there, offering His peace and comfort. 

In the quiet You are there.

In the solitude You are with me.

In difficulty You comfort me.

I thank You for Your love and mercy. 

Amen

 

No comments:

Post a Comment