Friday, September 18, 2020

 In Love We Find God

 

“So faith, hope, love remain, these three; but the greatest of these is love.” (1 Cor 13: 13). 

   In Paul’s first letter to the Corinthians he provides what is, in my opinion, the definition of love that should inspire us all (1 Cor 13: 1 – 13).  This passage is often read at weddings and rightly so.  If those joined in marriage would frequently return to these words and take them to heart I am convinced that the divorce rate would plummet.

   Love, according to Paul, is greater even than faith and hope.  Without love I’m not sure we can even have true faith and hope.  Faith and hope are gifts of the Father.  They are given out of His love for us.  Without that love on what would our faith would be founded; for what would we hope?  All is based in love.

   I can go to Mass everyday of my life but if I don’t have love in my heart I am a hypocrite.  Without love Christianity cannot exist.  If was out of love that God created; because of love the Word took flesh and became man; in His unbounded love Jesus died on the cross to offer me redemption and the hope of salvation.  If I do not seek to have that kind of love in my heart I am a failure as a Christian.

   Love as God intended, love as He loves, is not possible in this world.  I am stained by sin and imperfect in many ways.  I can’t approach the level of love that God has for me and for all His children.  But I must love as best I can and seek the grace of God to enable me to have a stronger, purer love.

   I am on a journey in life.  A journey that is intended to lead me to eternal happiness in the presence of the Lord.  But that journey can’t be successful, I can never achieve my goal if I don’t have love.  Truly, love is the greatest of all God’s blessings. 

You have blessed me with so many gifts.

But the gift of Your love exceeds them all.

Grant me the grace to love as You love. 

Amen

No comments:

Post a Comment