Tuesday, September 29, 2020

 The Light of the World

 

   “And this is the verdict, that the light came into the world, but the people preferred darkness to light, because their works were evil.” (John 3: 19) 

   “Then God said, ‘Let there be light’; and there was light.”  (Gen 1: 3).  The darkness was overcome by the light of God.  Yet, the story doesn’t end there.  Darkness reared its’ ugly head throughout scripture in the evil men did.  Wickedness became so prevalent that God sent the flood to wash away the evil, leaving only Noah and his family to repopulate the earth.

   The process has repeated itself again and again throughout history.  Sodom and Gomorrah were destroyed because of their evil ways.  The Israelites, God’s chosen people, rebelled against Him over and over.  Even though they suffered for their evil and prospered when they returned to God’s ways, they continued repeating their mistake.

   Today is no different.  Evil abounds in all walks of life, the Light of Christ is avoided and ignored because the evil doers are convicted of their sins in His brilliance.  The evil will continue until Jesus comes again in glory to vanquish the darkness once and for all.

   Walking in the light isn’t always easy.  It sometimes requires pain and suffering.  Jesus made it very clear that I must deny myself and take up my cross if I am to follow Him (Matt 16: 24).  Yet he will not abandon me in my suffering but will help me carry my burdens.

   When I consider the reward that awaits, the weight of my cross doesn’t seem so heavy.  When I consider the pain and suffering endured by my Lord, my pain is nothing. 

   In Jesus is the Light and the Light overcomes the darkness. 

You are the Light of the world.

Shine on the darkness within me.

Let no evil overcome me.

Take me to Yourself when this life is over. 

Amen

No comments:

Post a Comment