Saturday, September 19, 2020

Resisting Our Passions

 

   “We find our peace only by resisting our passions, not by giving in to them.” (Thomas รก Kempis, “The Imitation of Christ”) 

   We are a passionate people.  We know what we want, and we want it now, not later.  Whatever we desire, we feel it is our right to have it.  The road to ruin is paved with these passions.

   I am a new car guy.  When a car gets a year or two old I start yearning for a new one.  I don’t need it; I simply want it.  The car I have is perfectly fine, has low mileage and does exactly what I need a car to do.  Yet I find myself looking at and contemplating buying a new one.  It’s senseless and unnecessary, but still I am tempted.  It is an earthly passion and temptation.

   Our passions are easy targets for Satan.  Some are harmless and of no real danger to my spiritual life, but routinely giving in to my wants and desires can become a way of worshiping false gods.  If I allow my passions to rule I lose sight of the fact that whatever I have is through the grace of God.  I begin to focus more on the gift than on the Giver.

    In this country we have developed a sense of entitlement that is unmatched in most of the world.   We too often fail to recognize and give thanks to God for the many blessings we have.  Just having enough food to eat and a safe place to sleep can be hard to find in many areas and here I am thinking about new cars. 

    I am very blessed with all God has given me.  I pray that I can be more concerned with thanking Him for those gifts than in replacing them or seeking more.  In His love is the peace I desire, and His gifts are to be cherished. 

There are so many earthly enticements.

Satan tells me I need them all.

All I truly need is Your love and mercy.

Give me the strength to turn from earthly desires. 

Amen

No comments:

Post a Comment