Wednesday, September 23, 2020

 In Happiness and In Sorrow

 

   “Find your delight in the Lord who will give you your heart’s desires.”  (Psalm 37: 4) 

   “Sustain me by your promise that I may live; do not disappoint me in my hope.”  (Psalm 119: 116) 

   How easy it is to ignore the Lord and His many blessings when things are going well.  We talk of how lucky we are when in reality it is God’s will.  We brag of our accomplishments, never stopping to recognize that God is the source of all we achieve.

   How quickly we turn to God when things are not going well.  In our pain and suffering we soon seek Him in prayer, asking for comfort.  We even blame Him for our suffering rather than accepting that trials and suffering are a part of life. 

   When my wife passed away someone told me that it was OK to be angry with God.  I couldn’t understand why I should have anger with my Lord when it is Satan who brought death into the world.  Instead of anger I asked for strength to endure and to grow in my faith and trust in God.  He has answered my prayers a hundred-fold.

   It is necessary that I turn to the Lord in all things.  To give Him praise and thanksgiving in times of happiness and joy.  To seek His comfort and peace in times of trial and suffering.  God is not a God of one or the other, but of all things.  It’s difficult but necessary to always remember that everything works for the good when we live in His will.

   Whether happy or sad God is with me.  In joy or pain He is here.  Whatever the circumstances I turn to Him and He will lead me home. 

Help me Lord to always turn to You.

In thanksgiving for Your many blessings.

For Your comfort and peace when I am suffering.

In You is the promise of eternal life. 

Amen

No comments:

Post a Comment