Friday, September 25, 2020

The Friendship of the Lord

 

   “What a friend we have in Jesus, all our sins and griefs to bear.  And what a privilege to carry everything to God in prayer.” (“What a Friend We Have in Jesus”, written by Charles Converse and Joseph Scriven) 

   Imagine for a moment that you are in serious financial straits.  Bankruptcy looms, you can’t make the payments on your house and the stress may even cost you your family.  Now imagine that a friend comes to you saying that they will pay the cost of your debts, leaving not even a penny unpaid.  Further, they expect no repayment, all they ask is your love.

   This is precisely what the Lord Jesus did for me and for you.  The debt was not one of money but of sin.  The cost to atone for those sins was more than I could pay.  As a sinful man I do not have the ability to perfectly atone for my wrongdoings.  The doors to heaven were closed and I did not have the key to open them.

   Jesus, in His great love, paid that debt for me.  He took my sins upon Himself and paid the price to redeem them.  In my imperfection I could not make amends, in His perfection He atoned for my sins.  The suffering He endured, the pain and agony of the cross were His loving sacrifice to me and to all who will accept it.

   I am stained by sin and though I try, I cannot always avoid it.  Jesus understands my weakness and continues to forgive.  His mercy was not limited to the cross but continues throughout eternity.  Today, tomorrow, and as I take my dying breath He is there to hear my confession and forgive my sins.  He died that I might share eternity with Him. 

Lord I am a sinful man.

I can’t open the gates of heaven.

You came to open them for me.

My soul rejoices in Your mercy. 

Amen

No comments:

Post a Comment