Thursday, September 24, 2020

 

In Darkness and In Light

 

   Yesterday evening my neighborhood lost power for about an hour and a half.  At first I kept hoping it would come back on, after all this is Florida and air conditioning is a bit more than a convenience.  However, after about 30 minutes I found that the dark and silence was a wonderful thing.

   This time of year it’s beginning to get dark by about eight in the evening and without appliances, AC’s and such running the house was much quieter than normal.  In the dark and quiet I began my evening prayers, finding in them the peace and comfort that is always there.  But it seemed to be amplified in some way by the deeper silence of the house and the darkness caused by the outage.  It was a wonderful experience.  In the silence and dark there was just me and my God.

   This morning God was in the light.  As I was finishing up my morning walk the sun was coming up.  The sky was somewhat cloudy, and the rising sun was turning them the most beautiful shades of pink, purple and red.  I couldn’t help but think that this is what Jesus does for us.  He takes the clouds of our life and gives them color and beauty.  Though I may not always recognize that He is there, He changes my life.  When I forget myself and turn to Jesus, He brings beauty and joy to all things.

   My experience of last night and this morning reminded me of the love and the majesty of God.  He lights the darkness with His love and mercy, giving direction and purpose.  He brings beauty to all things. 

You are there Lord.

In darkness and in light You are with me.

I see You in all that is.

May I always walk in Your ways. 

Amen


No comments:

Post a Comment