Friday, September 4, 2020

 What Does the Lord Require of Me? 

   “And so now, O Israel, what does the Lord, your God, require of you but to fear the Lord, your God, to walk in all his ways, to love him, to serve the Lord, your God, with all your heart and all your soul, and to observe the commandments and the statutes that I am giving you today for your own good.” (Deuteronomy 10: 12 – 13) 

   Moses gave these instructions to the Israelites over a thousand years before the birth of Christ.  In one form or another Jesus taught them throughout His life on earth.

   Two thousand years after the life and death of Christ these guidelines are still the path to God.  With new technology, new scientific discovery, and new thought about most everything, these remain constant.  If I want to save my eternal soul the path has not changed.  Moses taught them, the prophets reinforced them, and our Lord Jesus taught them over and over while He lived on earth.  His priests and pastors continue to teach them today.

   Over the many generations between Moses and Jesus the Israelites went back and forth from observing these commands and ignoring them.  When they followed them they flourished; when they rejected them they suffered.

   In the years since Jesus walked the earth, people have done the same thing.  At times they have been very faithful and at times they have ignored the truths of God and followed the many false gods of this world.

   Today, I have the same choice; to follow or to ignore.  In following I am confident of the love and mercy of my God.  I trust that, at my death, Jesus will come and take me to Himself as He promised.  If I reject them, this world is all I have.  Eternity will be one of misery and the absence of God.

   I choose life; I choose God; I choose to follow His ways until my arrival at my heavenly home.  May God help me in my journey! 

Your ways are not hard.

You give us strength to follow them.

May I always turn to You for guidance.

Help me walk the path that leads to You. 

Amen

No comments:

Post a Comment