Monday, September 14, 2020

 The Cross of Christ

 

   “No one has greater love than this, to lay down one’s life for one’s friends.” (John 15: 13) 

   The cross was not only an instrument of capital punishment it was a horrible means of torture.  As the body weakened the crucified would begin to sag on the cross, cutting off the ability to breath.  To breath it was necessary to push up against the nails in the feet, causing excruciating pain.  Eventually, weakened to the point that it was no longer possible to push up to breath, death by suffocation occurred.  This process could take several hours, each moment of which was sheer torture.

   My Lord chose to undergo such a death to offer me the opportunity for redemption and salvation.  I look upon the crucifix and mourn for the pain and death Jesus endured to pay the debt for my sins.  I look to the wounds in His hands, His feet, and His side and know of the great love He has for me.

   Too many people today readily speak of redemption and salvation, but they don’t want to consider the cross.  Without it there is no redemption or salvation.  I too must bear my cross.  Jesus said, “Whoever wishes to come after me must deny himself, take up his cross, and follow me.” (Matt 16: 24).  The cross is a part of life and I can not deny my cross if I wish to follow Him.

   It is right to look upon my Lord hanging on the cross.  It is right to feel sorrow for my sins that required such a sacrifice.  It is right to gaze upon Christ on the cross and offer myself to Him in thanksgiving for the gift of His sacrifice for me. 

Lord, I look upon You on the cross.

I see You hanging there in pain and agony.

I recognize that my sins were responsible.

I’m sorry Lord, help me to sin no more. 

Amen

No comments:

Post a Comment