Monday, September 21, 2020

 The Eternal Now

 

   “But do not ignore this one fact, beloved, that with the Lord one day is like a thousand years and a thousand years like one day.” (2 Peter 3: 8) 

   I think of heaven a lot.  Since spending eternity in heaven is my ultimate goal, I suppose it should be expected that I contemplate what it will be like. 

   But what is heaven?  There are so many analogies of what heaven will be like, in the bible, in theological thought and teachings, in books, poems, and even in song.  The fact is no one knows except those who are there, and they aren’t telling anyone.  So until this life is over I am left to consider what heaven means even though it’s impossible to know.

   I sometimes think of heaven as the eternal now.  There is no time in heaven, no yesterday, today, or tomorrow, only now.  That complicates my thoughts even more.  Being a creature of time my mind can’t comprehend a condition where time does not exist.

   Heaven is to be perfect love, joy, and happiness.  What that means remains to be seen.  I sometimes consider that it may be the eternal presence of God in ways unknown in this life.  A presence that is not imaged, felt, or sought, but truly is.  I can’t imagine perfect joy and happiness unless a reunion with my wife is included so that we can continue to share the eternal love God gave us in this world.  But again, it's not possible for me to know in this life.

   My dreams and thoughts of heaven may be foolish and unlikely but still it is a comfort to consider them, always recognizing that they will never define the reality.  God alone knows what truly awaits in the next life. 

My dreams of heaven are mortal.

They are only of human thought.

I want to fully understand.

I yearn to experience the reality. 

Amen

No comments:

Post a Comment