Monday, September 7, 2020

 Christianity is Love

 

“The commandments, ‘You shall not commit adultery; you shall not kill; you shall not steal; you shall not covet,’ and whatever other commandment there may be, are summed up in this saying, ‘You shall love your neighbor as yourself.”  Love does no evil to the neighbor; hence, love is the fulfillment of the law.” (Romans 13: 8 – 10) 

   The gospels and writings of the apostles teach that we are to love.  Jesus tells us that the whole law and the prophets depend upon the love of God and of neighbor (Matt 22 36 – 40).  Paul tells us that without love we are a resounding gong or a clashing cymbal (1 Cor 13: 1).  If I don’t have love in my heart I don’t believe I can be a Christian.

   But love can be hard.  How am I to love those who kill babies in the womb?  How am I to love the adulterer, the thief, or the murderer?  Yet, my Lord tells me I must have love for them; I must pray for them.

   I must strive to love not as the world loves but as God loves.  Christian love is a love of each of God’s children simply because they are His children.  I may abhor their sinful acts, but I must love them and pray for their redemption.

    Humanity is stained by sin and selfishness.  Still, I must love and pray that they will find reconciliation with the Lord.  God desires that no soul be lost and my love for them is a part of His plan to help each of His children to become holy.  It is my responsibility to help in God’s plan.

   People may be hard to love, but I must try my best to love them anyway.  As God loves them and desires the salvation of their soul, I must do the same. 

Without love we are nothing.

You are the source of all love.

You love all Your children.

Help me to love as You love. 

Amen

No comments:

Post a Comment