Thursday, September 3, 2020

 Maintenance of the Soul 

   I’m having new carpet installed in my bedroom today.  The one that is being replaced is somewhat stained and worn so it was time to renew.  Our homes are full of things that get worn or broken and need replacement.  It’s simply a part of life and we need to plan for these things.

   My spiritual life needs renewal as well.  The way I live, the way I respond to God may become stale, losing the enthusiasm they used to have.  When that happens I believe it is a sign from the Lord that it’s time to move to a new level in my relationship with Him.  The old way has become less purposeful and a new way is needed.

   Prayers I’ve said for years become routine, almost automatic with little or no thought and feeling.  It’s time to expand my prayer life, time to deepen my communications with God.

   Reading scripture may have become habit rather than prayerful.  It’s time to be less concerned with how much I read and pay more attention to what I am reading.  What is its’ message for me today?  What is God trying to tell me?  Prayerful scriptural reading needs to replace the simplicity of reading a certain number of verses or chapters each day.

   If I honestly look at my life I must admit that it also has become worn and perhaps jaded.  I need renew my spiritual life, recognizing that all is from God and all is good.  His plan is the right plan, I need to follow it.

   Replacing the carpet is easy, I just need to stay out of the way and let the experts do their job.  Revising my spiritual life, however, requires much work and determination on my part.  Habits may have formed that need to be broken.  New habits more in line with God’s desire need to be fostered.

   It’s my life and it’s my responsibility to maintain it properly.  I need to review the state of my spiritual life revising or replacing those things that are worn and perhaps stained by sin. 

My life can become jaded.

It needs renewal.

Fill me with Your spirit.

Keep me always on the right path. 

Amen

No comments:

Post a Comment