Tuesday, September 15, 2020

 Personal Holiness

 

   “Everybody without exception is called to holiness.  But start with yourself.” (Cardinal Francis Xavier Nguyen Van Thuan, “The Road of Hope: A Gospel from Prison) 

   It seems to me that it is human nature to judge the holiness of others but to simply assume our own holiness.  Jesus warned us of such an attitude, “Why do you notice the splinter in your brother’s eye, but not perceive the wooden beam in your own?” (Luke 6: 14).  It’s so easy to see the faults of others and ignore my own.

   To help my neighbor attain holiness I must first seek holiness in myself.  But that requires acknowledging that I am not now holy.  It also insists that I recognize that there is nothing I can do to make myself holy.  Only God can make me holy; it is my responsibility to allow Him to do so.

   If it were possible for me to attain holiness on my own merits it would not have been necessary for Jesus to die for me on the cross.  In that loving sacrifice He opened to me the choice of holiness.  But I must make that choice and accept the path of holiness God has chosen for me.  That path will most likely include some pain and struggle; nothing of value is gained without sacrifice.  But in the end holiness is all that matters.

   I can’t help others become holy by judging them and any faults they may have.  I can only strive for my own holiness and pray for others that they will choose holiness for themselves. 

I can’t make myself holy.

Holiness comes from You.

May I always seek holiness.

Regardless the cost. 

Amen

No comments:

Post a Comment