Thursday, October 22, 2020

 Counting Blessings

 

   “What are human beings that you are mindful of them, or mortals, that you care for them?” (Heb 2: 6) 

   As I look back over my life I can clearly see the many blessings of the Lord.  Even before I knew the Lord I was receiving His blessings.  Even though I was not aware of His presence He was there.

   When I was born the doctors told my parents that I would most likely not live more than a month or so.  I’m not sure what the problem was but at 70 years old I must assume they got it wrong.  Or maybe they had it right, but God had other plans for me.  Either way I consider the simple fact that I’m alive a blessing of God.

   In retrospect it’s easy to see the many blessings God has bestowed upon me.  I was blessed with a wife whom I loved greatly and who loved me.  God blessed us with four wonderful children.  We had over 48 years of marriage blessed by the love God gave us to share.  That love lives on and will throughout eternity.

   But it’s the “simple” blessings I am most ashamed of not recognizing.  By simple I mean those blessings I am given every day; those I tend to ignore because they are always there.  I woke up this morning; some did not.  I have food to eat; many are starving.  I can freely go to Mass and worship my God; many suffer persecution for their faith.  It’s these things that I take for granted but are truly blessings.

   The sun shines, the rains come, the seasons change.  The world continues on its’ course.  The universe is always expanding yet all remains exactly where it should be.  Nature in all its’ glory is God’s gift.

   It’s so easy to just go through life accepting the love, mercy, and blessings of God.  It is to my shame that I once considered them to be just a part of life rather than the Lord’s gifts to me. 

Your gifts are many.

Too often I don’t notice them.

Help me see all You do for me.

Thank You for caring for me. 

Amen

No comments:

Post a Comment