Saturday, October 3, 2020

 Nothing New Under the Sun

 

   “What has been is what will be, and what has been done will be done; there is nothing new under the sun.”  (Eccl 1: 9) 

   A young man was studying and training for a career in politics.  But the world was such a mess and seemed to be only getting worse.  There were armed gangs in the streets, endless wars all over the world, and scandals not only in politics but in the Church.  In short, times were dreadful.

   Though this may sound like events of today, the young man described is St. Benedict and the events that troubled him were in the early sixth century.  He left his training and moved to a cave on the side of a mountain, devoting His life to God.  He would become the father of monasticism; the Benedictine Rule still in use all over the world today.

   The world is subject to the evils of Satan and many fall prey to his diabolical urgings.  He takes great delight in spreading the fear that things are worse than ever before and there’s nothing to be done to fix it.  Turmoil and disarray suit his plans perfectly.  Despair and misery are some of his favorite tools in the tormenting of humankind.  It has and always will be part of the world in which we live.

   Jesus said, “Do not let your hearts be troubled.  Believe in God, believe in me also.  In my Father’s house there are many dwelling places.  If it were not so, would I have told you that I go to prepare a place for you?  And if I go and prepare a place for you, I will come again and will take you to myself, so that where I am, you may be also.”  (John 14: 1 – 3).  If we believe in Him and place our trust in Him we can weather the worst of storms.

   There truly is nothing new under the sun.  If we keep that thought in mind and turn to God we can rest in His peace. 

This world will pass away.

Eternity is forever.

Let me not despair of the world.

Let me always seek eternity with You. 

Amen

No comments:

Post a Comment