Wednesday, October 14, 2020

 Out of Society

 

   “Do not conform yourselves to this age but be transformed by the renewal of your mind, that you may discern what is the will of God, what is good and pleasing and perfect.” (Romans 12: 2) 

   How do I separate myself from this age, from the sinfulness, the hatred, and unrest?  There were some in the early church who left society to live in caves or small huts in the desert or mountains.  They desired a solitary life with God to the society in which they lived.  Now we must seek the desert in the cities and our communities.  There is nowhere else to go in a totally connected world.

   Those who openly practice Christianity, proclaiming their faith, are becoming more and more at risk of persecution, intimidation and even prosecution.  Society, which seems to be ruled by Satan, has determined that God is never to be mentioned in public.  Perhaps out of fear, or just convenience, more and more people have become accepting of society and its’ sinful ways.

   We are called to rise above society; to speak boldly of our commitment to God.  The martyrs died for their faith rather than bow to society.  Subject to the most heinous forms of torture and death they refused to deny God.  I often wonder how many Christians today would willingly suffer torture and death for our Lord.  I pray that I would have that kind of courage but can’t be sure if never tested.

   What I can do is separate myself from the ways of society.  I can choose to ignore the many temptations society pushes upon me.  I can look to my home as my sanctuary, my cave in the mountains if you will.  I can’t remove myself from this world, but I can fill myself with God and the promises of the next. 

Society ignores You Lord.

They despise Your ways.

Help me to keep Your laws in my heart.

Strengthen me to overcome the ways of this world. 

Amen

No comments:

Post a Comment