Thursday, October 29, 2020

 Suffering

 

   He walked into the church, went to the front pew, and got on his knees.  Looking up at Jesus on the cross he began to pray, “Lord I know it’s been a while since I’ve been here.  My days are so full, with my job and all.  But I’ve not been a bad person, I’ve tried to live a good life.  Now I’ve lost my job, my house is going into foreclosure and my wife is threatening to leave me.  Where have you been Lord?  Why am I having to suffer so?  You are supposed to be there for me, where were you when I needed you?”

   Still on his knees he continued to look upon the Lord hanging on the cross.  In his heart he heard Jesus’ response.  “I’ve been right here, where have you been?  I’m always here to help you, to support and strengthen you but you’ve ignored me.  You were so concerned with earthly matters that you forgot what truly matters.  Now you are here asking why you are suffering.  Now I ask you, what did I do to deserve the suffering, pain, and death I chose to accept in payment for your sins?  Suffering is a part of life in a fallen world.  All must bear their cross.”

   Any time I begin to feel the world has been unfair or question why I must suffer the trials and pains of life I am reminded how my Lord suffered for me.  Not because He had to but because He chose to.   He gave His life to offer me forgiveness and salvation.  Rather than get wrapped up in a “pity party”, feeling I’ve been treated unfairly, I turn to Jesus and thank Him for the pain and agony He endured for me.

   The pains and sufferings of this life are as nothing compared with what He suffered for me.  Rather than dwell on my pain I offer it to Him in thanksgiving for His sufferings for me.  As He promised, He is always there, to comfort and to console. 

Lord, I turn to You in times of suffering.

Not to ask why but to thank You.

To thank You for your sufferings for me.

To give You all glory and praise. 

Amen

No comments:

Post a Comment