Saturday, October 24, 2020

 Listening to Scripture

 

   Hearing the scripture read to us at Mass and reading it ourselves at home are wonderful ways to get to better know our Lord.  However, unless we are truly listening to the scripture we miss so much.

   We sometimes read it as if it is history alone, but scripture speaks to us today just as when Jesus spoke to the Jews in His lifetime.  The gospel writers wrote for the people of their day, but their teachings are just as valid today as when they wrote them.  Paul’s letters can be read as history or as instructions for how we should be living today.

   When reading scripture I like to place myself in the reading as a listener or maybe even one who was healed by Christ.  I try to listen to what He is telling me about how to live my life.  His words are present, not past.

   To me scripture is a living, breathing thing.  There is a message for me every time I read scripture.  I just need to open my heart and mind to listen.  In quiet solitude, prayerfully listening to the words of Christ, the prophets, and apostles there is wisdom for today and always.  The letters of St. Paul and others are how-to books on living a Christian life.

   St. Jerome wisely said, “Ignorance of scripture is ignorance of Christ.”  When we read scripture with a prayer in our heart, desiring to listen rather than just read, we come to know our Lord. 

Lord Your words are light and truth.

Open my mind and my heart to listen.

Help me put Your words to work in my life.

Help me always serve You in all I do. 

Amen

 

No comments:

Post a Comment