Monday, October 5, 2020


 The Humility of the Lord

 

  In my kitchen I have a figurine called "The Kitchen Madonna".  It depicts what appears to be a normal day in the life of our Blessed Mother and our Lord.  A mother trying to sweep the floor while her small son is trying very hard to get her attention.  He's not interested in the house cleaning, he only wants the attention and love of his mother.  I doubt there is a mother anywhere who can't relate to this image.


The humility of the Lord is so evident in this scene.  Here is the Son of God, the Messiah of the world, as He chose to come among us, a child depending on the love and care of His parents.  He didn't come as a king or ruler or even a prophet but as an infant.  He grew up in what was most likely a very normal Jewish household, learning the ways of life from His parents just as all children.  And yet, He is the Son of God.  He is the Word by which God created all things.  What great love it took for Him to give up His glory to become one like us in all things but sin.


   When I look at this figurine it reminds me that humility is required if I am to truly try to emulate the Lord and live my life following His example.  I can't be proud, or self-important.  I must see myself as Jesus was as an infant and small child; dependent on others for His well-being and His very life.  He was entrusted to Mary and Joseph, I must entrust myself to Him, the Father, and the Holy Spirit.


  "Who, though he was in the form of God, did not regard equality with God something to be grasped.  Rather, he emptied himself, taking the form of a slave, coming in human likeness; and found human in appearance, he humbled himself, becoming obedient to death, even death on a cross." (Phil 2: 6 - 8)

 

Lord, teach me humility.


Take my pride from me.


Amen

No comments:

Post a Comment