Saturday, October 17, 2020

 How Am I To Pray?

 

   “For me, prayer is a surge of the heart; it is a simple look turned toward heaven, it is a cry of recognition and of love, embracing both trial and joy.” (St. Therese of Lisieux) 

   Everywhere I look there are books, videos, and various other sources telling me how to pray.  Some involve long prayers, some quite short.  Prayers of thanksgiving, prayers of intercession for self or others.  They are all well-meaning and of value.  But they can also be confusing.

   St. Therese has it right.  I love that she starts her definition of prayer with the words, “For me”.  Prayer is a very personal activity, or at least I believe it should be.  Of course there is a place for the Lord's Prayer, or the Rosary or any number of other prayers, but I seem to be closest to God when it’s just me and Him in the quiet stillness of my home.

   Each of us must determine the best means of communicating with God.  There’s certainly no shortage of ways to pray, but what is an extremely meaningful prayer for one may be little value to another.  God speaks to us differently and we must respond in the way that brings us always closer to Him.

   I find the Divine Office to be a meaningful means of prayer.  I love that at any given hour of any day someone, somewhere in the world, is praying the Divine Office.  It is the Church following St. Paul’s guidance to pray always and being a part of this continuous world-wide prayer brings me joy.

   “For me”, however, my private prayer is where I come to better know, love, and serve my God.  It is where I find peace and comfort from the trials of this world.  It is where I share all with Him and He shares with me. 

I love to spend time in prayer with You.

To know your presence within me.

In my prayer I tell you of my love for You.

In my prayer I know of Your love for me. 

Amen

No comments:

Post a Comment