Friday, October 16, 2020

 He Came Among Us

 

   “And the Word became flesh and lived among us, and we have seen his glory, the glory as of the father’s only son, full of grace and truth.” (John 1: 14) 

   I often consider why Jesus chose to become a man, to leave His glory for a while and live as all other men live.  Not only did He become man, but He chose to so in the way of all men, born of woman.  Through the power of God and the Holy Spirit our Blessed Mother became pregnant and gave birth to the savior of the world.

   Like any other child, Jesus probably fell at times, scraping knees and getting bruises.  There may have been times when He was sick and needed the loving care of a mother just as we all do.  He learned about manhood through Joseph, He earthly father.  He lived a normal human life except for sin.

   By coming as He did, He experienced the life of those He came to save.  He was subject to temptation and, though never yielding, knew of the temptations we all suffer.  I’m sure He got tired as He walked the roads of Israel, teaching the way to heaven.  He knew rejection from some of His followers because of His teachings.  He so angered the religious leaders that they lied against Him to have Him crucified.

   I think He chose to come as He did to provide an example for me to follow.  I do not suffer anything that Jesus did not suffer in His manhood, far less in fact.  I can’t excuse myself because God “doesn’t know what it’s like”; He knows exactly what it’s like.  In spite of the pain and difficulties He overcame all He experienced and lived the will of the Father.  By living as all men, with the same suffering and trials, He shows me that, in faith, I too can follow the will of the Father. 

You gave up Your glory for a while.

You became a man like me.

You gave me the example to live by.

Strengthen me to follow You. 

Amen

No comments:

Post a Comment