Monday, October 12, 2020

 The Law or Faith

 

   The law relies upon punishment to enforce obedience.  Faith supersedes the law and its’ threats with faith in the love and mercy of God.  The law cannot lead us to salvation, but faith will always take us there.

   Jesus tried to explain to the Israelites that the law was not the answer, but rather love, faith and trust in God.  Many times He was questioned about the law in attempts to trip Him up, to find something for which to condemn Him.  Finally He was condemned as a blasphemer and was turned over to the Romans to be crucified.  Those who lived under the law were unable to accept His teaching of love and faith.

   If I have love of God and love of neighbor of what use is the law?  In Jesus we are taught to love one another; there is no law that can enforce such a concept.  I can obey every word of the law, but if I do it only because the law says I must, of what good is that?  My actions, my life must be ruled not by some enforcement code but out of love.

  In loving God, the law is written upon my heart.  I know without a rule book when I am doing good and when I am doing evil.  I understand that the only good can come from God and that the evil comes from the fallen nature of man.  The law within me, given by God, is to be my guide.

   That doesn’t give me the option of defining God’s law, choosing for myself right or wrong.  It means that God will guide me in my ways and lead me always to Him.  The fall in the Garden of Eden was one of trying to become like God and define good and evil rather than trusting in the law of God, the law of love.

   The law punishes; in faith there is hope.  I can never hope to obey every portion of the law every day.  In faith I can acknowledge my imperfections, turning to God for His mercy and forgiveness.

 

The law demands.

Love gives a reason.

The law condemns.

Faith heals and saves me.

 

Amen

No comments:

Post a Comment