Monday, October 19, 2020

In Darkness and In Light
 
   “If I say, ‘Surely the darkness shall cover me, and the light around me become night,’ even the dark is not dark to you; the night is as bright as the day, for the dark is as light to you.” (Psalm 139: 11 – 12)
 
   I find two important thoughts in this verse.  Both are something that I think about quite often, trying to live my life accordingly.

   “Surely the darkness shall cover me,” seems to imply that darkness is something to be sought to hide my actions from God.  To do those things I wish He did not know of.  I relate this to the words of John in his gospel, “And this is the judgement, that the light has come into the world, and people loved darkness rather than light because their deeds were evil.”  (John 3: 19).  Those who are planning to commit evil usually want to do it in secret so others may not know of their evil.

   And yet, even the darkness is not hidden to God.  He sees my every action, knows my every thought before I even think it.  All is light to Him, and nothing is hidden.

   When the psalm says, “even the dark is not dark to you” I not only recognize that nothing can be hidden from Him but that even in my darkest times He brings light to my life.  When I feel abandoned or lost, it gives me great comfort that all is light to Him.  From the darkness I seek His light and He is always there.

   I can hide nothing from God and God is always with me.  In these two ideas I can better live my life according to His will.  There is nothing I want to hide from Him; I want Him in every part of my life.  When I feel that I am in darkness it cannot overcome me; He is there to give me His light.
 
In darkness or in light You are with me.
In good times and in bad You are here.
I thank You for Your light.
May I walk in it forever.
 
Amen

No comments:

Post a Comment