Tuesday, October 13, 2020

 What is to Come 

   “At present we see indistinctly, as in a mirror, but then face to face.  At present I know partially; then I shall know fully, as I am fully known.” (1 Cor 13: 12) 

   It’s always dark when I begin my morning walk.  This morning, however, it was not only dark but quite foggy.  As I walked and prayed the scripture quoted above came to mind.

   The fog was heavy enough that even the lights on the street were dimmed with an eerie halo about them.  Clearly seeing things even a block down the road was difficult.  My life is often like that.  I feel that I am in a fog with limited vision of what lies ahead.  I was reminded that it is not possible to fully know the plans God has for me, but I am still to trust.

   And if I can’t even be sure of what awaits me in this life I certainly have no clue about what heaven brings.  Of course I know it is a condition of perfect love, joy, and happiness.  There is no pain, there are no sorrows or tears.  In the presence of our Lord and God I will at last experience the relationship God intended for all of us to have with Him.  What, exactly, it all means will remain a mystery until this life is over.

   Sometimes not knowing what is to come can be scary; I guess that’s why many people fear death so greatly.  But if I believe what scripture tells me; if I believe what Jesus taught and the apostles preached, I need have no fear of death, only longing for what awaits.

   I can’t know what is to come, in this life or in the next.  I can only trust in God, living in the knowledge that He loves me and wants only the best for me.  I don’t know what is on the other side of the door of death, but I know my God is there waiting to welcome me home.  When I reach that point, today or twenty years from now, I will gladly open the door and go home. 

Lord I don’t know what is to come.

All is in Your hands.

You give me hope.

All my hope is in You. 

Amen

No comments:

Post a Comment