Monday, October 26, 2020

 Taking Up the Cross

 

   “Why are you afraid to take up your cross, since it is the only way to the kingdom of heaven?” (Thomas รก Kempis, “The Imitation of Christ”) 

   It amazes me that some people seem to think that a Christian should not suffer in this life.  When a devoted Christian contracts cancer or some other terrible disease, suffering a painful, lingering death, I hear people asking why God would let such a devoted person suffer so much.  Have they forgotten the suffering and pain our Lord endured for our benefit?  Have they never read of the tortures and deaths of the martyrs?

   It’s very clear throughout scripture that believers will suffer, in fact must suffer, in this life.  Jesus says it very clearly, “If any want to become my followers, let them deny themselves and take up their cross and follow me.”  (Matt 16: 24).  Many of the early Christians picked up their cross and followed Jesus all the way to their death.  Others suffered greatly because of the faith.  There are still those today who suffer persecution and even death for their love of God.

   Too many churches today want to focus on the rewards of Christianity but never the cost.  As with anything of value there will be costs.  Some will suffer little and some will suffer greatly, but all will suffer if they are truly living the will of God.  To deny this or ignore it is to refute the clear teaching of our Lord.  We are to have a share in His suffering.

   When I look upon Jesus on the cross I am reminded of the terrible suffering He endured.  His death brought redemption and salvation to those who believe.  His resurrection and ascension give us the assurance of His promises.  The glory is ours; it awaits us in heaven.  But along with the glory some suffering must occur. 

Lord You suffered greatly for me.

I offer You my sufferings in thanks.

Strengthen me in my trials.

Let my cross not defeat me. 

Amen

No comments:

Post a Comment