Friday, October 2, 2020

Taking God for Granted

 

   It’s easy to go through life rarely, if ever, acknowledging all God has done.  His blessings are many and His love and mercy eternal.  And yet many simply accept His blessings, never recognizing them and thanking God for His many gifts.

   In the evening, before going to bed, I sit quietly and review my day.  I look for the times when God has blessed me and give Him thanks.  I look for the times when I’ve sinned and seek His forgiveness.  I have found that the blessings of God are beyond counting.  On any given day He blesses me in so many ways.  I’ve also found that it’s far too easy to ignore my sins and failings.

   The fact that I woke up this morning is a blessing.  I was able to see the world He has created and hear the sounds of His creation; many are blind or cannot hear.  I was blessed to get out of bed without pain; many can’t.  I was able to prepare my breakfast; many go hungry.  I was able to go to Mass and receive my Lord in the Eucharist without fear; many are persecuted for their faith.  I could go on, but you get the point.  God’s blessings are many and so often they are taken for granted.

   Sadly, I also recall the times that I’ve failed to serve my Lord.  Perhaps I’ve had hateful thoughts about the guy who cut me off in traffic.  I may have let my mind wander at Mass rather than rejoicing and giving thanks for Jesus’ sacrifice for me.  It’s not unusual that I’ve spent too much time in front of the television; time that could be used to better know my God through the scriptures and holy readings.  Again, you get the point.  I sin far more than I realize and yet He is there to forgive my weaknesses and help me try to do better.

   What I have learned is that I need to be far more observant in recognizing God’s blessings, giving Him thanks.  Just as important I need to become more aware of the times that I have failed in my efforts to walk in His ways, seeking His forgiveness and mercy. 

Lord, help me see Your blessings.

May I always give you praise and thanks.

Make my sins known to me.

Forgive me and strengthen me. 

Amen


No comments:

Post a Comment