Wednesday, October 21, 2020

 Lukewarm Christianity

 

   “But because thou are lukewarm, and neither cold, nor hot, I will begin to vomit thee out of my mouth.”  (Rev 3: 16, Douay-Rheims Version) 

   Newer translations of this verse use the word “spit” rather than “vomit".  I prefer the more vivid statement.  It better expresses the displeasure our Lord has with those who are lukewarm.

   Today there seem to be so many who fall into this tepid version of Christianity.  I hear Catholics say the Eucharist is not the real presence of Christ; those who think the Eucharist is simply a piece of bread; a symbol perhaps.  When the Eucharist was once called a “beautiful symbol”, Flannery O’Conner, a Catholic novelist, replied, “If it’s only a symbol, to hell with it.”  In other words if you don’t believe it is the Body, Blood, Soul, and Divinity of our Lord, why even bother?

   There are Catholics who support abortion and euthanasia.  There is no room in Catholicism for the intentional murder of innocent life.  Mario Cuomo once said that while he was opposed as a Catholic to abortions on moral grounds, he had no right to impose his personal religious views on a pluralistic society.  Imagine a politician in Nazi Germany saying, "While I am opposed to the slaughter of Jews on moral grounds, I have no right to impose my views on others.”; how absurd!  The Nazis slaughtered over six million Jews.  In the United States alone over 50 million innocent babies have been slaughtered in the womb since Roe V Wade.  Hitler and Dr. Josef Mengele would be proud.

   These are only two of the most egregious examples of lukewarm Christianity.  To say I am Christian and Catholic means nothing if I am not willing to stand for the truths of God.  If I become lukewarm I, too, shall be vomited from the mouth of God. 

Make me strong in faith.

Give me courage.

Never let me become lukewarm.

Help me live by Your truths. 

Amen

1 comment:

  1. Hi Ed! I laughed when I read "I prefer the more vivid statement", but couldn't agree more. Best Regards.

    ReplyDelete