Saturday, August 7, 2021

 A Structured Life 

   I try to maintain structure in my life.  A time for prayer, necessary work, and even some entertainment.  I also reserve prayer time and solitude to be alone with my Lord.  Some days I do quite well, others I fail miserably.

   Sometimes I envy the structure of the monastery.  The day is well-planned and serves the Lord in all that is done.  There is a time for prayer, for Mass, for meals, for work, for spiritual reading and a time for rest.  The motto of the Benedictines is “Ore et labora”, Latin for pray and work.  A life designed around the needs of prayer and the work of God is a life of peace.

   Labor doesn’t necessarily mean physical labor.  It can also refer to intellectual labor such as better understanding scripture through prayer.  It can mean offering all that we do, regardless how small or seemingly unimportant, to God.

   In this way we can make our life one of continuous prayer.  We can live as St. Paul advised, “Rejoice always, pray without ceasing, give thanks in all circumstances; for this is the will of God in Christ Jesus for you. (1 Thes 5: 16 – 18). 

Let me live a life of prayer.

Take the distractions of this world from me.

Let me pray without ceasing.

Giving my life to You.

 

Amen

No comments:

Post a Comment