Friday, August 6, 2021

 Psalm 23

 

“The Lord is my shepherd, I shall not want.”  The world tells me I need many things, money, fame, fortune, self-importance.  All I really need is the Lord to guide me.

“He makes me lie down in green pastures; he leads me beside the still waters; he restores my soul.”  In sorrow, in pain, in confusion, in turmoil, Jesus calms my soul.  He gives me strength and courage to face the day.

“He leads me in right paths for his name’s sake.”  There are many paths to follow in this world, but only one leads to eternal life; the path Jesus puts before me.

“Even though I walk in the darkest valley, I fear no evil; for you are with me; your rod and your staff – they comfort me.”  With Jesus even the fear of death does not dismay me.  Death has been overcome.

“You prepare a table before me in the presence of my enemies; you anoint my head with oil; my cup overflows.” In baptism my head was anointed with oil.   At His table I receive His body, blood, soul, and divinity in the Eucharist.  Even in the presence of the evil in the world I am filled with His peace.

“Surely goodness and mercy shall follow me all the days of my life, and I shall dwell in the house of the Lord my whole life long.”  Life is not always easy, but I know the goodness He plans for me; His mercy is with me always.  If I follow Him, I will surely dwell in the house of the Lord for all eternity.

 

Jesus came to lead us to Himself.  Follow Him and He will lead us home.

No comments:

Post a Comment