Friday, August 13, 2021

 Why 

   Like most children I think one of the first questions I learned to ask was “why?”  Me, “can I have a cookie?”; mom, “not right now.”, me, “Why?”.  Over and over until she would become frustrated and finally reply, “Because I’m the mom, and I said so.”  I also learned that when we reached this point it was time to stop asking “why?”.

   As Christians we sometimes go to God and ask “Why?”.  Why did I lose my job?  Why did I get this terrible disease?  Why did I lose my loved one?  Just like the children we were, we feel we have the right to know why something happens.  But is knowing why necessary or even helpful?

   This world is a mess, we all know that.  Naturally we want to know why and what we can do to fix it.  The answer is quite simple; it’s a mess because we live in a fallen world full of sin, and no, there’s not a lot we can do to fix the mess.

   What we can do is pray and keep in mind that God has a plan.  Though we don’t know exactly what all is involved in His plan, we do know that His plan is the right one.  If followed it will lead us to eternal life with Him.  Accepting without knowing why is hard, but that’s what faith is all about.

   When we ask God why, the answer is because He is God, and we are not.  What we need is faith, hope and trust; faith in God, hope in His promises, and trust that He will do all He has said He will do.  When we have these, we know longer need to ask why. 

Your ways are unknown to me.

I can’t understand, it is beyond me.

Let me never question why.

Let me always trust in You. 

Amen

 

No comments:

Post a Comment