Friday, August 20, 2021

 Love is the Answer 

   “Light of the world, shine on me, love is the answer.  Shine on us all, love is the answer.”  (“Love is the Answer”, lyrics by Todd Rundgren)  

   Whether or not it was His intention, Todd Rundgren wrote of what it means to be a Christian.  It is, always has been, and always will be about love.  Love truly is the answer.

   Love of God and love of neighbor.  Jesus said these were the two greatest commandments, that all the commandments and the prophets depend on these two (see Matt 22: 34 – 40).  His life was one of love for all of humanity.  His death and resurrection opened the door to heaven for those who would follow Him and strive to love as He did.

   St. Paul, in his letter to the Corinthians, wrote “If I speak in human and angelic tongues but do not have love, I am a resounding gong or a clanging cymbal. (1 Cor 13: 1).  He went on to give one of the most beautiful testimonies to love that can be found in Scripture.

   On the cross, as He was dying for my sins, Jesus said, “Father, forgive them, they know not what they do.” (Luke 23: 34).  There is no greater example of love than that or our Savior giving His life for our sins.

   The love we know in the world is human love.  It is tainted by sin and error.  I cannot love as Christ loved, but it is my duty, my calling, my desire, to do the best I can. 

In You there is love.

Love in perfection and eternal.

In me there is sin.

Help me to love as You love.

 Amen

1 comment:

  1. How true this is! If people can realize that each of us will only answer for ourselves at the gates of heaven, it sure makes it easier to love those who are doing something you believe is against God's commandments. Love the sinner, not the sin.

    ReplyDelete