Monday, August 23, 2021

 Distractions 

   I struggle with distractions in my spiritual life.  Even while at Holy Mass I find my mind wandering.  During prayer time it is the same; suddenly I find I’ve completely gone off track.  I’m sure others have this problem as well.

   I’m currently reading a collection of sayings of the early desert fathers called “The Wisdom of the Desert”, a compilation put together by the Trappist Monk, Thomas Merton.  This morning one of the sayings applied very aptly to my problem of distractions and even to the temptations of Satan.  I’d like to share it here.

   “A brother came to Abbot Pastor and said: Many distracting thoughts come into my mind, and I am in danger because of them.  Then the elder thrust him out into the open air and said: Open up the garments about your chest and catch the wind in them.  But he replied: This I cannot do.  So the elder said to him:  If you cannot catch the wind, neither can you prevent distracting thoughts from coming into your head.  You job is to say No to them.”

   We will never be free of distractions or temptations in this life.  St. Peter warned us, “Your opponent the devil is prowling about like a roaring lion looking for someone to devour” (1 Peter 5: 8).  But with the help of our Lord Jesus Christ and our Blessed Mother we can gain the strength to simply, but emphatically, say “NO!” 

Lord the world is filled with distractions.

Satan awaits around every corner.

Be with us in these times.

Strengthen us to say no. 

Amen

No comments:

Post a Comment