Monday, August 16, 2021

Following Him 

   “‘Do not be afraid; from now on you will be catching men.’  When they brought their boats to the shore, they left everything and followed Him.”  (Luke 5: 10 – 11)

   “As Jesus passed on from there, he saw a man named Matthew sitting at the customs post. He said to him, ‘Follow me.’  And he got up and followed Him. (Matt: 9: 9) 

   I’m quite comfortable in my home, with the love of my friends and family.  I’m sure many of those Christ called to Himself also had the comforts of home and family, yet at His calling they forsake it all to follow Him.

   I often wonder if I have the faith and courage to do what the first apostles did?  Could I leave everything and follow Jesus.  I pray that, if Jesus asked, I would have the faith to do so, but I know it would only be by the grace of God.

   Even more, what of the martyrs who chose to die rather than deny their faith.  When I read of their martyrdom, I’m horrified by the incredibly gruesome means that were used to try to make them forsake Christ.  Again, could I do the same, forsaking even my life for Him?

   Sitting here today, in the comfort of my home, I can’t imagine my reaction should someone come to the door, knock me to the ground and demand that I deny Jesus or die.  Would I have the courage to die for Him?  I will most likely never have to make that decision, but should it happen I pray that He will give me the strength to accept martyrdom rather than betray Him. 

Whether in good times or in bad,

 I choose to follow You.

If the ultimate choice should come to me.

Give me the strength to choose You. 

Amen 

No comments:

Post a Comment