Monday, August 2, 2021

 Doers of the Word 

   “But you must do what the word tells you, and not just listen to it and deceive yourself.” (James 1: 22) 

   If all I do is go to Mass and listen to the readings and the homily, thinking that is all that is necessary, I am lying to myself.

   Believing in Christ entails much more that knowledge of His life and His teachings.  It requires putting that knowledge to use in my own life.  He taught love, I must love; He taught forgiveness, I must forgive; He taught mercy, I must show mercy to others.

   Our Lord did not come just to have others listen to His word.  He came to change lives.  If I am not willing to do all I can to model my life after His I am failing as a Christian.  I may learn many things in life but if I never incorporate what I have learned into my life then I have wasted my time.

   Jesus said, “If anyone wants to be a follower of mine, let him renounce himself and take up his cross and follow me.” (Matt 16: 24).  Christianity is not an intellectual exercise; it is a way of life.  A way that must change virtually every aspect of my life.  If I am not willing to do that, I am not worthy to follow Christ.

   Those of the world are selfish, concerned primarily with their own wants and desires.  Jesus’ life was one of giving.  He gave love, forgiveness, mercy, and finally, He gave His life on the cross.  He never promised that following Him would be easy, only that it would lead to eternal life.

 

I must act, not just listen.

I must put Your word into practice.

I must be willing to pick up my cross.

I must follow wherever You lead.

 

Amen

No comments:

Post a Comment