Wednesday, August 11, 2021

Casting Stones 

   “Let the one among you who is without sin be the first to throw a stone at her. (John 8: 7) 

   Like many others, I am prone to picking up stones and throwing them at those who, in my opinion, have sinned.  Somehow, I ignore my own sins, but wish to hold others responsible for theirs.

   Those who had brought the prostitute to Jesus, seeking to stone her for her sin quietly walked away after Jesus suggested that the one without sin should begin the stoning.  Recognizing their own sins, they laid down their stones and left.

   Then those beautiful words of Jesus, “Woman, where are they?  Has not one condemned you?’  She replied, ‘No one, sir.’  Then Jesus said, ‘Neither do I condemn you, go and from now on sin no more.’” (John 8: 10 – 11).  Mosaic law required she be stoned, the new law, brought by Jesus, offered forgiveness rather than condemnation.

   Why do we set ourselves up as judge, jury, and executioner?  Are we so arrogant as to assume that another’s sins will condemn them, but ours will not condemn us?  Jesus often called out sinfulness and the consequences that could result.  But His purpose was not to condemn, rather to forgive and encourage change of heart. 

   We too, must confront sin but we must never usurp the power of God by condemning those who have sinned.  We, like Jesus, are to forgive and encourage right behavior, leaving judgement to the one true judge, Jesus Christ our Lord. 

It’s so easy to notice the sins of others.

Yet I overlook my own.

Let me never condemn.

Let me seek forgiveness for myself and for others. 

Amen 

No comments:

Post a Comment