Friday, August 27, 2021

 To Become Holy 

   “God created us without us; but he did not will to save us without us.”  (St. Augustine) 

   Mary said, “Behold, I am the handmaid of the Lord.  May it be done to me according to your word.”  (Luke 1: 38).  If I am unwilling to make myself the servant of the Lord, to let it be done to me according to His word, I cannot attain holiness.  He will not make me holy unless I cooperate with His plan.

   When I read the lives of the saints, I find the one thing that is common to all is their desire to give themselves holy and completely to God.  They chose to walk the path He put before them regardless the cost.  They recognized that there is no earthly joy or pleasure that can compare to eternal life with God.

   The many martyrs who willing gave their lives rather than deny their faith lived with the same conviction.  They accepted the tortures, the pains, and the horribly brutal death they suffered because they were servants of the Lord; nothing was worth denying their faith in Him.

   I too want to be a servant of the Lord.  I too want Him to make me holy regardless of any earthly consequences.  Still, when I read of those saints and martyrs I often question if my faith would see me through what they experienced.  They relied totally on the promises of the Lord.  I pray that I might have that same faith and courage if called to follow in their footsteps.

I am Your servant Lord.

Do with me whatever You will.

Put me on the path that brings me to You.

Give me the strength to walk that path. 

Amen

No comments:

Post a Comment