Saturday, August 21, 2021

 Longing For God 

   “As a deer longs for streams of water, so my soul longs for you, O God.  (Psalm 42: 2) 

   There is no end to longing for God.  The more I come to know Him and experience Him in my life, the more I want to know and experience Him.  I have no doubt that as I draw my last breath I will still be longing to know my God more and more.

   St. Augustine, in his autobiographical “Confessions”, famously wrote, “You have made us for yourself, O Lord, and our hearts are restless until they rest in you.”  God made me for Himself, that I might love and serve Him and spend eternal life with Him.  There is no rest until I understand this and give my life to Him.

   Over the years my spiritual life has changed and deepened.  It is God’s plan that I continue to grow in love of Him for the rest of my days; to give more and more of my life to Him.  In short, to become His without reserve.

   This world will one day pass away.  All will once again be as it was intended when God created all things.  Perfection in love and peace will occur; there will be no tears, no sorrows, no pain.  How I long for that day to come. 

Take me Lord.

Make me Yours.

I long for You above all things.

Let me rest in You forever. 

Amen

No comments:

Post a Comment