Wednesday, August 25, 2021

Hypocrisy 

   The last few days at Mass we have been reading of Jesus’ upbraiding of the scribes and Pharisees (Matt 23: 13 – 30).  He points out numerous ways in which their lives do not reflect what they claim to be.  In each instance Jesus begins by saying, “Woe to you, scribes and Pharisees, you hypocrites”.

   I think there are many religious leaders today who would do well to read these verses of Matthew’s gospel and seriously reflect on how they might apply to themselves.  Many are misleading those who they are to be guiding to Christ.  They are to be setting the example of Christian life but many, like the scribes and Pharisees, fall far short of that goal.  Woe to them, they will be required to answer for their failings.

   However, it’s not just religious leaders who live a life of hypocrisy.  I’ve known those who talk of their faith and yet will do whatever it takes to get ahead in their professional life.  Those who regularly attend attend Mass but whose hearts are far from Christian living in many ways.  They too will answer for their failings.

   I also need to regularly consider how I live my life.  I too am hypocritical at times.  I strive not to be, but sometimes fail.  The false gods of this world can be difficult to refuse at times.  And I too must answer for my failings. 

Lord, hypocrisy is rampant in life.

We say one thing and live another.

Help me to know Your way and live by it.

Take any hypocrisy from me. 

Amen 

No comments:

Post a Comment