Monday, June 28, 2021

Decisions 

   “Whenever you face a decision, you first can ask yourself a very dangerous question; ‘If I choose this, am I seeking to please the Lord, or am I seeking to please myself?” (Fr. Mike Schmidt, “How to Make Great Decisions”) 

   I make numerous decisions everyday as does everyone else.  Most are of little importance in the long run; things like what to have for breakfast or what shirt I am to wear.  But for those questions concerning my faith it is critical to pray for the Lord’s guidance.

   On three separate occasions I sought to become a deacon in the Catholic Church.  Each attempt was unsuccessful for one reason or another.  After much thought and prayer, I came to understand that perhaps it was my desire for me to be a deacon, not the Lord’s.  The door was closed because it was not God’s will for me.  His reasons and His desires for my life must supersede my own.  Otherwise, I am living for me, not for God.

   To me, it seems that God’s will is not just something that comes to mind, there are often other factors that point to where He is guiding me.  On more than one occasion there have been occurrences that I didn’t understand at the time but in looking back I can see the hand of God involved.  Even difficult experiences can sometimes lead to a stronger, more devout relationship with the Lord.

   Though the Lord has never explicitly told me His plans for me, He has guided me on the path He wishes me to follow in many ways.  As Elijah discovered on the mountain, God is sometimes in the tiny whisper. (see 1 Kings 19: 11 – 13). 

Show me the path You wish for me.

Guide me in Your ways.

Never let me stray. 

Amen 

No comments:

Post a Comment