Tuesday, June 22, 2021

 Mortality 

   “Even all the hairs of your head are counted.” (Matt 10: 30) 

   In his Monastic Rule, St. Benedict advises that we should consider our mortality each day.  My life has been greatly changed by this concept.  Living in full knowledge of my mortality is not morbid or depressing; it is, in fact, enlightening and brings peace to my life.

   When Satan comes calling with his temptations and urgings, I recall that, should I seriously sin against the Lord, I will break the bond I have with Him.  And should I die before restoring that bond I have condemned myself to eternity without Him.

   This doesn’t mean that I never sin, no one is without sin.  Our sins may be inadvertent or unintentional.  Many times we sin simply because we fail to be on guard against sin.  But sin is sad fact of life in a world corrupted by evil.  Recognizing my mortality helps me in my efforts to remain alert to the sin the evil one wishes me to commit and urges me to promptly return to the Lord in sorrow, seeking forgiveness for my sins.

   This life is a wonderful blessing, but it won’t last forever.  By always being aware that this life will end at a time known only to God I am better able to live my life for Him so that I can spend eternal life in His presence. 

Life is a blessing.

But it may end at any moment.

Let me live for eternal life.

Let me live for You. 

Amen

No comments:

Post a Comment