Friday, June 11, 2021

The Little Things 

   “God looked at everything he had made, and found it very good.  (Gen 1: 31) 

   I write often of the majesty of God’s creation; the universe, this incredible home called earth and all the beauty and mystery it contains.  But sometimes I find great peace and comfort in the little things of God’s creation.  The simple everyday miracles that are so often overlooked.  In those too there is the enduring glory of God.

   In the early mornings I usually go for a walk around my neighborhood.  Then I sometimes sit in my sunroom reading and praying before beginning my day.  I hear the birds waking up and sometimes see the squirrels out playing or searching for their breakfast.  It’s usually quite early so there is little noise other than that of nature.

   Since retiring I’ve become much more aware of the many little blessings God provides each day.  The sunrise and sunset; the wildlife so prevalent here in Florida.  A few moments ago I noticed two small Ibis’ coming through the yard stopping at every plant to see if there were any insects or bugs available for an afternoon snack.  I suppose I never had the time to appreciate these little joys in my work-a-day life; I was missing so much of God’s creation.

   Sitting in the quiet times of the day, simply enjoying the world God created for us is, in many ways, prayer.  It is a time of knowing Him and giving Him thanks for all He provides.  Even in the simple, natural occurrences of day to day life His glory is everywhere I look. 

Lord Your miracles are many.

Nature abounds with Your glory.

They speak of Your love and majesty.

I recognize You in all that You have created. 

Amen 

No comments:

Post a Comment