Tuesday, June 8, 2021

 Ruled By Desire 

   “No one can serve two masters.  He will either hate one and love the other, or be devoted to one and despise the other.  You cannot serve God and mammon.” (Matt 6: 24) 

   The word “mammon” is usually understood as money, but I suspect it can just as easily refer to any desire that pulls me away from God. 

   There are desires are within me, some good, some bad.  The battle becomes choosing which I will chase in this lifetime.  Left to human nature I fear I would choose the wrong yearnings, the ones that lead from God rather than toward Him.

   If the desire for money is my greatest desire, then I will likely strive to attain it regardless the consequences.  If it interferes with my family life, I will accept that as the price for increasing my bank account.  If it means working on Sundays rather than going to Mass, that too is acceptable.  I may never grasp that no matter how much money I have I will take none of it with me when I die.  I may jeopardize family, friends and even God for transitory happiness.

   Of course, money is only one of the desires that can take me away from the Lord.  Desiring anything more than I desire God may destroy my relationship with Him.  Satan delights in tempting me with earthly desires.  It doesn’t matter if they are trivial or purely evil, so long as they take me away from the Lord.

   “Take my yoke upon on you and learn from me, for I am meek and humble of heart; and you will find rest for yourself.  For my yoke is easy, and my burden light.” (Matt 11: 29 – 30).  If I turn to Jesus, He will help me rule my desires rather than allowing them to rule me.  He will give me the understanding that the only desire worthy of pursuing is a greater relationship with Him. 

Lord, human desires are many.

They can lead me away from You.

Live within me, help me control my desires.

That I may desire only You and Your will. 

Amen

No comments:

Post a Comment