Sunday, June 6, 2021

 This Is My Body, This Is My Blood 

   “Whoever eats my body and drinks my blood has eternal life, and I will raise him on the last day.” (John 6: 54) 

   Today is the Feast of Corpus Christi, the Body and Blood of Christ.  It is a celebration and recognition of the true presence of the Body, Blood, Soul, and Divinity of our Lord, Jesus Christ in the Eucharist.

   I have often commented that I am not Catholic because of the priests, bishops, or even the Pope.  The Church is a divine institution, but it is populated by sinful humans.  If I were I to place my faith and hopes in humans, I would be sadly disappointed.  Rather, I am Catholic because of the Blessed Sacrament.

   “While they were eating, Jesus took bread, said the blessing, broke it, and giving it to his disciples, said, ‘Take and eat; this is my body.’” (Matt 26: 26).  He did not say it was a symbol or that it represented His body but that it “is” my body.

   “Then he took a cup, gave thanks, and gave it to them, saying, ‘Drink from it, all of you, for this is my blood of the covenant, which will be shed on the behalf of many for the forgiveness of sins.’” (Matt 26: 27 – 28).  Again, there is no mention of symbols or such.

   Can I explain how a simple piece of unleavened bread and a cup of wine becomes the Body, Blood, Soul, and Divinity of my Lord?  No, I cannot.  I also can’t explain how He raised Lazarus from the dead, or healed the sick, cleansed the lepers, or gave the blind and the deaf their sight and hearing.  However, these miracles and others happened, they are real.  They are beyond explanation, but that doesn’t change the fact that they truly happened. 

You are present in  the Blessed Sacrament.

I take joy in sharing Your body and blood.

Fill me with Your spirit.

Fill me with Your blessed presence. 

Amen

No comments:

Post a Comment