Thursday, June 24, 2021

 Heaven 

   I think a lot about heaven.  I suppose that’s because heaven is my ultimate goal; to spend eternity in the presence of my God, knowing Him and the perfection He intended for us from the beginning.

   Still, I know virtually nothing about heaven.  I know that it will be a place of perfection in all ways.  All else is guesswork and expectations, some of which may be accurate, many of which are probably not.

   St. Paul wrote, “What eye has not seen, and ear has not heard, and what has not entered into the human heart, what God has prepared for those who love him.” (1 Cor 2: 9).  This all sounds incredibly wonderful but still gives me no clue as to what heaven will actually be like.  In fact, it confirms that I really know nothing of heaven and what it will be.

   I believe that I will be reunited with my wife and other loved ones, but it will be a reunion unlike any that can be had on earth.  It will be one of perfect love and caring for one another.  I think it will not only include my loved ones but all who are there.  We are all the family of God so our love will extend to every member of God’s family.  It’s supposed to be that way here on earth, but we all know it’s far from it.  Perfect love does not exist in this fallen world.

   Just prior to His passion, death and resurrection, Jesus told the apostles, “In my Father’s house there are many dwelling places.  If there were not, would I have told you that I go to prepare a place for you?  And if I go and prepare a place for you, I will come back again and take you to myself, so that where I am you also may be.” (John 14: 2 - 3).  He will come back for me and take me to himself.  I will be with Him for all eternity in the perfection that is heaven.  Still, heaven remains a mystery. 

   I’ve come to accept that I will never understand heaven in this life.  But I’ve also come to realize that it really doesn’t matter; it will be beautiful, it will be glorious; it will be perfect.  What more could I ask? 

I may not know what all it entails.

But it is my greatest desire.

Heaven is the goal of my life.

Lead me home to You, Lord. 

Amen

No comments:

Post a Comment