Tuesday, June 29, 2021

 Playing by the Rules 

   “Yes, all are welcome in the Church, but on Christ’s terms, not their own. (Francis Cardinal George) 

   If I want to play chess I must play by the rules.  Should I decide the rules don’t apply to me, then I will not be playing chess, but cheating.  This applies to any game I wish to play.  If I ignore the rules, I cannot play the game.

   The same applies in virtually every other aspect of life.  Anyone who plays sports must obey the rules or be ejected from the game.  Someone who wishes to join a club must acknowledge, accept, and obey the bylaws of that club.

   So why is it that some people seem to think that they can “play” at Christianity but not obey the rules?  I see social media posts and hear politicians and others stating that they are “devout” Christians while at the same time supporting sinful activities.  It is not possible to be Christian and blatantly ignore God’s teachings.  An abomination before God remains so regardless their claims.

   Even some church leaders seem to want to redefine the rules to suit the wishes of society.  Maybe they want to be popular or perhaps they are more concerned with donation baskets rather than the souls of their flocks.  They are betraying their calling and misleading those who look to them for spiritual guidance.  Their falsehood and lies will condemn them.

   If I choose Christianity, I must also accept, and follow the truths of scripture and the teachings of our Lord Jesus.  If not, I am a hypocrite and a liar. 

Your truths are eternal.

They will never change.

In Your truths there is salvation. 

Amen

No comments:

Post a Comment