Friday, June 25, 2021

 Live for Today 

   “Yesterday is gone.  Tomorrow has not yet come.  We have only today.  Let us begin.” (St. Teresa of Calcutta) 

   I sometimes get wrapped up in things of yesterday.  Sins long forgiven come to mind, things I should have done and things I should not have done.  I try to avoid these times, but I often fail.  It makes no sense to relive them, but still I do.

   There are also times when I become overly concerned about what is to come.  Tomorrow infringes upon today and can draw me away from living each day for God, stealing the serenity of my soul.  Jesus said, “Do not worry about tomorrow; tomorrow will take care of itself.” (Matt 6: 34).  Not only will tomorrow take care of itself, but it may also never come; this day may be all that is left to me.

   I honestly believe this is one of Satan’s tools to cause me distress and keep me from living each day as it comes.  If he can deprive me of the peace God wishes me to have, he is winning the battle for my soul; a battle I must not lose.

   Allowing myself to dwell on the past or stress about the future is useless.  The past is gone, and tomorrow may not come.  Today, this very moment, is all I can be sure of.  I must let go of the past, face the future if it comes, and try to live each day in preparation for eternity. 

Today is all I have.

I offer it to You Lord.

Lead me on Your path.

Bring me to my eternal home. 

Amen

 

No comments:

Post a Comment