Sunday, June 27, 2021

 Hope in Troubled Times 

   “And behold, I am with you always, until the end of the age.” (Matt 28: 20) 

   I am often accused of being an optimist, sometimes too optimistic.  I take a certain amount of satisfaction in this.  Optimism is something I believe every Christian should have in their life.

   I’m not blind, I see the problems we face in the world, and there are many.  Bishops who are virtually, if not actually, in schism.  Bishops who are apparently afraid to confront the reckless disrespect of the Eucharist by those who claim to be Catholic but continue to support and encourage abortion and other mortal sin.

   There is no lack of troubles to focus upon if I want to be depressed or despondent over the ways in the world.  But I choose to do my best to place these things in their proper perspective.  Troubles will come and go, but Jesus remains constant in His love and His promises.  Times have been better, and times have been much worse, but the war was won long ago on a cross at Calvary.

   We need to be aware of the issues that cause such discord and take a strong stand for God and His truths.  But we also need to trust in our Lord that they will be overcome.  “And so I say to you, you are Peter, and upon this rock I will build my church, and the gates of the netherworld shall not prevail against it.” (Matt 16: 18).  In the final analysis good will win over evil; this is the hope of the world.

   I’m faced with two choices; I can let the world overcome my peace, or I can let the peace of the Lord overcome my fears and trepidations.  I choose the peace and the hope of Christ. 

The world is a mess.

Satan seems to be everywhere.

But You have already overcome.

You will bring us safely home to You. 

Amen

No comments:

Post a Comment