Wednesday, June 23, 2021

The Power of Prayer 

   “Be sober and vigilant.  Your opponent the devil is prowling around like a roaring lion looking for someone to devour.” (1 Peter 5: 8). 

   Our greatest defense against the devil and his evil is in our prayer life.  When we turn to God in prayer, He will protect us and give us the strength to overcome the temptations of this world.  Satan is powerless against us when we are in communion with the Lord. 

   As a Catholic I often cross myself, silently praying, “In the name of the Father, and of the Son, and of the Holy Spirit.”  This simple little prayer can thwart Satan in his efforts to tempt me into sin.  A quiet turning to God, asking for help is all that is needed.  I do not need to recite long-winded prayers, just a simple cry for help.  The Lord will hear and strengthen me.

   Daily Mass and frequent reception of the Holy Eucharist gives me additional strength to fight the temptation to glory in the pleasures and false gods of this world.  Frequent confession of my sins provides certainty that God is with me, forgiving me and helping me to resist sin going forward.

   However, no prayer or number of prayers can eliminate sin in my life.  I live in a world filled with sin and the evil temptations that come at me from all sides.  Though I do not want to sin, I know that there will be times when I fail in my efforts.  Like everyone else in this world I am weak and can’t always defeat the evil one and his temptations.

   Though I know I cannot always avoid sin, I will continue to pray to do so and turn to my most merciful God for forgiveness when I fail. 

Lord I do not want to offend You.

Yet in my weakness I sin.

In prayer I seek Your help.

Strengthen me in my weakness. 

Amen

No comments:

Post a Comment