Wednesday, June 9, 2021

 Mercy is from the Lord 

   “Neither do I condemn you.  Go, and from now on sin no more.” (John 8: 11) 

   She had been caught in the very act of adultery and by law was to be stoned to death.  The Scribes and Pharisees brought her to Jesus not so much because of her sin but to test Jesus, trying to catch Him violating the law of Moses so they could condemn Him.  (see John 8: 3 – 11).

   Jesus bent down and began writing on the ground.  We aren’t told what He wrote but some think that He was perhaps writing the sins of those who wished to stone the woman.  Finally, He stood and said, “Let the one among you who is without sin be the first to throw a stone at her.” (John 8: 7).  One by one the accusers turned and went away, leaving only the woman and Jesus.  Then came those beautiful words, “Neither do I condemn You.”

   There are many Scribes and Pharisees among us today, those who are filled with sin but wish to condemn others.  There are also those who reject God but take delight in catching a Christian in what they consider a sin so they can condemn all Christians as hypocrites.

   We are all sinners, Christian or not.  However, we must look to the example of the woman caught in adultery.  She too was a sinner, but Jesus did not condemn her, He had mercy upon her, urging her to sin no more.

   I am comforted by Jesus’ love of me, His mercy and forgiveness.  He would be completely justified in condemning me for my sins.  Yet, He chooses to forgive and offer mercy, urging me to sin no more.

   I know that I am unable to avoid sin entirely.  But I pray that He is pleased by the fact that I do not want to sin; that I pray for His help to avoid sin.  Though He knows I will fail, He still loves me and says to me, “Neither do I condemn you.” 

I am a sinful man.

My failures are many, but You love me still.

You forgive rather than condemn.

Lord, help me to sin no more. 

Amen

No comments:

Post a Comment