Thursday, June 10, 2021

 One Day at a Time 

   “Do not worry about tomorrow; tomorrow will take care of itself.  Sufficient for a day is its own evil.” (Mat 6: 34) 

   I’ve come to understand that if I want to live better and more in the will of my Lord I must not allow tomorrow to interfere with this day.  Each day is unique unto itself, what occurs today is for today and tomorrow may never come.

   It’s a struggle for me to resist thinking of what tomorrow will bring.  Even the simple things like what I will eat tomorrow.  I consider whether to eat at home or go out for a meal, which really doesn’t matter.  I have plenty of food in the house and there are stores and restaurants available to me, so I’m not going to go hungry.  It is waste of time to worry about it.

   Even deciding whether I will go to morning or noon Mass sometimes weighs on my mind.  Unless I’m scheduled to read or serve at Mass it really isn't an issue.  So why take time from today to worry about it?

   Satan uses so many “little” things to draw me away from what should be the important things.  If I’m concerned with trivial matters, it steals time from God.  My life is much more satisfying when I let tomorrow wait until it comes.  I find it much better to simply deal with the needs of today rather than stressing about tomorrow or next week.

   God has given me this day.  It’s my responsibility to thank Him for the blessings of the day and to strive to serve Him as best I can.  Tomorrow may or may not come.  If it does, I will again thank Him for the day and try my best to live it as He would desire. 

Let me live but for today,

Not worrying what’s ahead.

For I have trust that You will see

I get my daily bread. 

Amen

No comments:

Post a Comment